Thursday, January 14, 2010

In which countries is status inconsistency more prevalent?

There are a lot of controversial discussions about the consequences of status inconsistency. But in most of the literature it is accepted that this phenomenon has been appeared as a result of the modern patterns of social mobility. Almost all the writers point to the advanced countries to show the importance of the matter. They think that status inconsistency is noticeably more prevalent in advanced countries than the so-called “third world” countries.
This is arisen from a narrow-minded thought that supposes the world consisting of two major parts: the modern western countries and the traditional societies of the “third world”. I have already written about it that some countries such as Iran are neither traditional nor modern. Let me leave this extremely important problem here now, I will return to it more precisely later.
For now, I want to make a very simple comparison between Iran and Canada. I have analysed the correlation between income, education and occupational prestige. The data I have used is taken from the WVS 2000.
As you can see in the preceding picture, the correlation in all the cases is higher for Canada. What does it mean? It is the the most important problem I am going to shed light on.

No comments:

Post a Comment